Many have asked this very question and we’re happy to explain it. The fate of the OPA contract (Ontario Power Authority) after an owner decides to move is a real concern for a lot of people. Not to worry, because the OPA has simplified this process for homeowners. At the time of sale, a seller can run into two scenarios, so let’s look at both of them: 1) Seller wants to sell the solar power system along with the house: The OPA anticipates that sellers would include their renewable energy systems as part of the sale of their homes. In this case, the microFIT contract can be assigned to the purchaser, as follows: For version 1.3 or 1.4 OPA Contracts, a Supplier may assign the Contract to any legal entity. For version 1.5, 1.6, 1.6.1 or 2 OPA Contracts, a Supplier may assign the Contract to another Eligible Participant. For a complete list of Eligible Participants, please refer to the applicable microFIT Eligible Participant Schedule. The new contract holder would receive payments in accordance with the microFIT contract for the remainder of the contract term. 2) Seller wants to sell the house but not the solar power system: If you wish to take your project with you to your new residence, your contract will be terminated when your local distribution company account is closed and your connection agreement with your local distribution company is terminated. You have the option of applying for a new contract once the project is connected at your new residence but there is no guarantee you will be awarded a contract at the new location. So there you are. In case you are wondering how will installing solar panels affect your home’s selling price, here’s an excellent post we did that tells you all about it: Do Solar Panels Improve the Price of Your Home? But if you have other questions on solar feel free to leave a comment on this post or drop us a message below. Or if you’re looking to speak to a solar specialist, call us at 289-969-1809 or cell: 613-583-6127 today. Author: Derek Wilson Visit us at www.ecoaltenergy.com.
- Need an Electrician? How to Spot an Unlicensed Electrician.
- Need A Electrical Contractor? Why Hire Eco Alternative Energy?
- Standby Generator Installation – Sharbot Lake, Kingston, Ottawa, Perth, Smith Falls and Region
- Electrical Contractor- Eco Alternative Energy- Kingston, Ottawa, Napanee, Sharbot Lake, Perth
- Solar Installations, MICROFIT Systems by EcoAlternative Energy
- Solar Panel Installation- Perth, Lanark, Balderson & Area
- How much does it cost to install solar panels in Ontario (home /residential)?
- Grid Tied vs Off Grid Solar Electric Systems: Which option is better for you?
- Do Solar Panels Increase the Price of Your Home?
- Moving after installing solar: What happens to my OPA contract if I move?